- September 13, 2020
Writing-Intense Sections Only Grading (50 points)
You will write a short essay (500 words or less; about 2 pages, 12-point, Times New Roman, Double Spaced)) that answers one of the questions below. The audience should be a non-technical business manager — she doesn’t necessarily know economic and research-related jargon. You should write in the 3rd person, active voice and avoid unsubstantiated opinions. The essay will be graded on the following:
- Professional presentation and tone; Use of author-date citations and inclusion of a reference list (APA style is fine); meets requirements.
- Structured arguments and paragraphs. Make an argument and back it up with research. (I suggest clear, complete, and pertinent first sentences to each paragraph).
- Logic and evidence to answer the question assigned to you.
- Your arguments should be supported by at least 5 academic articles (i.e. not news articles) published since 2008. Part of your assignment is to describe how such findings support your argument.
- How do businesses avoid laying off workers when minimum wages rise? (Hint: see the Schmitt (2013) paper presented on the website discussion of minimum wages).