Please answer all the questions/problems, show your complete solutions, and provide explanation for each (including the attached file). Thank you so much.
Chem 11 A Problem Set 1 1. Classify the following substances as elements, compounds, solutions, or heterogenous
A. rice pudding
G. Tomato juice
H. Iodine Crystals
2. Classify each of the following as either a physical or a chemical process:
A. corrosion of aluminum metal
D. Digesting a candy bar
B. melting of ice
E. Explosion of nitroglycerin
C. pulverizing an aspirin
3. Identify the following as extensive or intensive property:
A. mass of a metal
D. boiling point
B. color of sample
4. Supply the name of the scientist/s responsible for the following concepts:
D. oxygen gas
B. plum pudding model
E. Law of Conservation of mass
C. the nuclear atom
F. Law of Definite Proportion
G. Law of Multiple Proportions
5. A chemist finds that 30.82 g of nitrogen will react with 17.60 g, 70.40 g, or 80.00 g of oxygen
to form four different compounds. (A) Calculate the mass of oxygen per gram of nitrogen in each
compound. (B) How do the numbers in part (A) support Dalton's atomic theory.
6. Fill in the gaps in the following table, assuming each column represents a neutral atom:
Mass no. 65 Zn
108 235 7. Fill in the gaps in the following table:
Net Charge 31 P335
3+ 8. Determine the molar mass of each of the following compounds:
A. nitric acid, HNO3
E. phosphorous trichloride
D. gallium sulfide
9. Calculate the percentage by mass of oxygen in the following compounds:
A. morphine, C17H19NO3
B. cocaine, C17H21NO4 C. (NH4)2SO4
10. Calculate the following quantities:
A. mass, in grams, of 0.015 moles sucrose (C12H22O11)
B. moles of Zn(NO3)2 in 143.50g of this substance
C. number of moles of NH4Cl in 112.6 g of this substance
D. number of molecules in 1.305 x 10-2 mol C6H6
E. number of O atoms in 4.88 x 10-3 mol Al(NO3)3
11. Show the necessary calculations for each of the following questions.
A. What is the mass, in grams, of 2.50 x 10-3 mol of ammonium phosphate?
B. How many moles of chloride ions are in 0.2550 g of aluminum chloride?
C. What is the mass, in grams, of 7.70 x 1020 molecules of caffiene, C8H10N4O2?
D. What is the molar mass of cholesterol if 0.00105 mol weighs 0.406 g?
E. How many moles of ammonium ions are in 8.776 g of ammonium carbonate? 12. Give the empirical formula of each of the following compounds if a sample contains
A. 0.0130 mol C, 0.0390 mol H, and 0.0065 mol O
B. 5.28 g Sn and 3.37 g F
C. 87.5% N and 12.5 % H by mass
13. What is the molecular formula of each of the following compounds?
A. empirical formula CH2, molar mass = 84 g/mol
B. empirical formula C2H4O, molar mass = 88 g/mol
14. Determine the empirical and molecular of each of the following substances:
A. Styrene, a compound substance used to make Styrofoam cups and insulation, contains
92.3% C and 7.7% H by mass and has a molar mass of 104 g/mol.
B. Ibuprofen, a headache remedy, contains 75.69% C, 8.80% H, and 15.51% O by mass, and
has a molar mass of 206 g/mol.
15. Show the complete solution for the following problem:
A. Menthol, the substance we can smell in mentholated cough drops, is combusted, producing
0.2829 g of CO2 and 0.1159 g H2O. What is the empirical formula for menthol?
B. If menthol has a molar mass of 156 g/mol, what is its molecular formula?
16. The characteristic odor of pineapple is due to ethyl butyrate, a compound containing carbon,
hydrogen, and oxygen. Combustion of 2.78 mg of ethyl butyrate produces 6.32 mg of CO 2 and
2.58 mg H2O. What is the empirical formula of the compound?
17. The fermentation of glucose (C6H12O6) produces ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH) and CO2: C 6H 2 C 2H 5O H 1 2 O 6 (a q ) (a q ) + 2CO 2 (g ) A. How many moles of CO2 are produced when 0.400 mol of C6H12O6 reacts in this fashion?
B. How many grams of C6H12O6 are needed to form 7.50 g of C2H5OH?
C. How many grams of CO2 form when 7.50 g of C2H5OH are produced?
18. Several brands of antacids use Al(OH)3 to react with stomach acid, which contains primarily
A. Balance this equation.
B. Calculate the number of grams of HCl that can react with 0.500 g of Al(OH)3.
C. Calculate the number of grams of AlCl 3 and the number of grams of H 2O formed when 0.500
g Al(OH)3 reacts.
19. Solutions of sodium carbonate and silver nitrate react to form solid silver carbonate and a
solution of sodium nitrate. A solution containing 3.50 g of sodium carbonate is mixed with one
containing 5.00 g silver nitrate. How many grams of sodium carbonate, silver nitrate, silver
carbonate, and sodium nitrate are present after the reaction is complete?
20. When benzene (C6H6) reacts with bromine (Br2), bromobenzene (C6H5Br) is obtained: C 6H 6 (a q ) + B r2 C 6H 5B r + H Br A. What is the theoretical yield of bromobenzene in this reaction when 30.0 g of benzene reacts
with 65.0 g of bromine?
B. If the actual yield of bromobenzene was 43.3 g, what was the percentage yield?
21. Using solubility guidelines, predict whether each of the following compounds is soluble or
insoluble in water:
22. Will precipitation occur when the following solutions are mixed? If so, write a balanced
formula equation for the reaction and list the spectator ions.
A. Na2CO3 and AgNO3
B. NaNO3 and NiSO4
C. FeSO4 and Pb(NO3)2
23. What is the difference between:
A. a monoprotic acid and a diprotic acid
B. a weak acid and a strong acid
C. an acid and a base
This question was answered on: Sep 13, 2020Buy this answer for only: $15
This attachment is locked
Pay using PayPal (No PayPal account Required) or your credit card . All your purchases are securely protected by .
About this QuestionSTATUS
Sep 13, 2020EXPERT
GET INSTANT HELP/h4>
We have top-notch tutors who can do your essay/homework for you at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments.
You can also use these solutions:
- As a reference for in-depth understanding of the subject.
- As a source of ideas / reasoning for your own research (if properly referenced)
- For editing and paraphrasing (check your institution's definition of plagiarism and recommended paraphrase).
NEW ASSIGNMENT HELP?
Order New Solution. Quick Turnaround
Click on the button below in order to Order for a New, Original and High-Quality Essay Solutions. New orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.
WE GUARANTEE, THAT YOUR PAPER WILL BE WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND WITHIN A DEADLINE.