Please upload an excel file that has the work on one or two pages and then the answers on a separate page.
FINC 460/560: Portfolio Analysis
Homework 3, due Oct. 20
Value at Risk (VaR)
Use any web data source to collect daily and weekly prices for PG (Procter & Gamble) and
GOOG (Google) from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015. I recommend the historical price
link at finance.yahoo.com, but you may use whatever source you prefer to gather these data. Use
Excel to complete the following analysis:
1. What are the mean and standard deviation of one-day logarithmic returns (not prices!) for
each stock? What is the correlation between the returns for the two stocks? Also, calculate
the mean and standard deviation for a portfolio consisting of 30% PG and 70% GOOG.
2. Using the parametric method, what are the 95% and 99% 1-day VaR for a $500,000 position
in each stock (so you are investing a total of $1 million, half in each)? Use this figure to
calculate the 5-day VaR for each stock for the same investment amount.
3. Use your answers from #1 for the individual stocks to calculate the 95% 1-day VaR for a $1
million portfolio that consists of 30% PG and 70% GOOG. (In other words, use naïve
inference, ignoring the portfolio statistics.)
4. Use the portfolio descriptive statistics from #1 to calculate the maximum possible 95% 1-day
VaR for a $1 million portfolio of 30% PG and 70% GOOG. (In other words, now use only
the portfolio statistic numbers from #1.) Is this number the same as your answer for #3?
Why or why not?
5. Use the weekly prices to calculate the 95% 5-day VaR for a $500,000 position in each stock
(assume 5 days is the same thing as one week). Do you get the same results as you did in #2?
Why or why not?
6. Using the historical simulation (nonparametric) method, calculate the 95% 1-day VaR for a
portfolio that consists of 30% PG and 70% GOOG, using the historical two years of returns.
Use the completely non-parametric method by reading off the 5% level using Excel?s
percentile function. Is your result the same as your figure from #4? Why or why not?
7. Conduct Monte Carlo analysis for the 95% 1-day VaR for a portfolio of 30% PG and 70%
GOOG. Assume that returns of the individual stocks are normally distributed with the
parameters from #1. Generate 1,000 replications; calculate descriptive statistics; and use the
parametric estimation method to generate the VaR.
This question was answered on: Sep 13, 2020Buy this answer for only: $15
This attachment is locked
Pay using PayPal (No PayPal account Required) or your credit card . All your purchases are securely protected by .
About this QuestionSTATUS
Sep 13, 2020EXPERT
GET INSTANT HELP/h4>
We have top-notch tutors who can do your essay/homework for you at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments.
You can also use these solutions:
- As a reference for in-depth understanding of the subject.
- As a source of ideas / reasoning for your own research (if properly referenced)
- For editing and paraphrasing (check your institution's definition of plagiarism and recommended paraphrase).
NEW ASSIGNMENT HELP?
Order New Solution. Quick Turnaround
Click on the button below in order to Order for a New, Original and High-Quality Essay Solutions. New orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.
WE GUARANTEE, THAT YOUR PAPER WILL BE WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND WITHIN A DEADLINE.